Monday, July 12, 2010

To Meat or Not to Meat, That is the Question

I LOVE animals, really I do....I have a kinship with Otters, grew up with a menagerie of cats, dogs, mice, hamsters, quail and the like, I got to hold a turtle's life in my hands this past week and I have a newfound appreciation for bunnies after this weekend. So it comes to no surprise to ME that after 41 years on this planet I decided to become a vegetarian, however for my friends, family and co-workers this seems to evoke laughter, amusement and a general sense that I have lost my mind.

Perhaps it is because I was the one who always ordered her food "still mooing" or didn't lose my stomach at a plate full of raw, bloody pieces or maybe it is because I have a reputation as not being an animal lovers [this is from my kids, and in my defense I was a single mom of 3 and no way was I taking care of another living breathing thing!]or perhaps 41 is a bit old to start to develop a social conscience

However, this is something that I have been thinking about for awhile, just didnt want to tell anyone in case I couldn't pull it off. I like to think that it is a small step towards reducing my carbon footprint, but more likely it is about figuring out the puzzle of me.....my life is still unwritten and now that my major chapter is over I need to quickly figure out what I want the rest of the pages about me to say

AND.....if that is not enough of a reason, how about a DOUBLE DIGIT weight loss my first week as a vegetarian! WHOO~HOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment